Earth Day 2020 is an annual event celebrated around the world on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection. As we celebrate the 50th year of this important movement, let’s be mindful of the positive changes we can affect if we practice sustainable Earth Day activities year-round.
Those who enjoy recreating in the outdoors tend to take a front seat when it comes to conservation and sustainable treatment of our natural resources. Our lakes, rivers, oceans, mountain ranges, beaches, forests, valleys; the health and existence of our favorite outdoor places and inhabitants face no shortage of threats—pollution, climate change, population growth, resource consumption, urbanisation, over-exploitation, and environmental degradation. Here are a few Earth Day activities to reduce your environmental impact, not only on Earth Day 2020, but everyday.
- Educate yourself about important issues facing our aquatic resources and how you can take an active role in protecting them through proper conservation practices.
- Practice sustainable fishing methods to help protect fisheries and marine eco-systems for future generations.
- Opt for reusable. Avoid consumption of single-use plastics such as water bottles, grocery bags, plastic utensils, and produce bags.
- Make your own homemade goods and buy in bulk to reduce plastic packaging.
- Pick up litter.
- Plant a tree.
- Plant a garden.
- Reduce your carbon footprint by walking or riding a bicycle instead of driving.
- Buy organic, locally sourced produce and products.
- Replace paper towels with fabric napkins or kitchen towels.
- Switch to soap and shampoo bars and toothpaste tablets.
- If dining out, bring your own tupperware for leftovers.
- Use eco-friendly cleaning products free from harmful chemicals. Make your own in a reusable glass bottle.
- Encourage sustainable practices in your home, with your family and friends.
Enjoy these Earth Day activities and share with others so they can get involved in the world’s largest environmental movement!