A Canberra man in his 90s has died of COVID-19, the first death in the ACT’s current outbreak.
- The ACT has recorded its first COVID-19 death linked to the current outbreak
- At least eight of today’s cases were infectious in the community
- Chief Minister Andrew Barr has announced the relaxation of some restrictions from October 1
Nineteen new COVID-19 cases have been recorded in the ACT today, with eight of those spending at least some of their infectious period out in the community.
Seventeen can be linked to a known case or cluster, while two remain unlinked.
There are currently eight people in hospital with the virus. Three of them are in ICU and require ventilation.
First death in new outbreak
Chief Minister Andrew Barr announced the first COVID-related death in the ACT since the new outbreak began, bringing the total number of COVID-related fatalities in the territory to four.
“The man had been receiving end-of-life care at the Calvary Haydon aged care facility, prior to being diagnosed with COVID-19,” Mr Barr said.
“This is the first death where COVID is a contributing factor in this current outbreak and brings the total number of COVID-related deaths in the ACT to four since the start of the pandemic.
“Our thoughts today are with the man’s family and friends at this difficult time.”
Mr Barr also said the death was a timely reminded of the danger COVID presents to the ACT community.
He said getting vaccinated before the state’s lockdown ends is imperative in order to protect Canberrans.
“So I want to use this opportunity to reinforce with people the importance of getting vaccinated between now and when the lockdown ends on 15 October.
“I would encourage anyone who has yet to get a first dose of the vaccine to do so.”
Restrictions to ease
Mr Barr has also announced some restrictions would ease for the ACT’s lockdown after receiving new advice from Chief Health Officer Kerryn Coleman.
“Over the weekend and again this morning the ACT emergency cabinet met with the Chief Health Officer to discuss the path out of lockdown for the territory over the coming weeks,” he said.
“In recognition of the current health risk and our increased levels of vaccination, the Chief Health Officer has recommended some further changes to lockdown measures to come into effect from 1 October.”
From Friday, October 1, at 12:01am, Canberrans will be subject to these updated restrictions:
- Two people can visit another household
- One household or up to five people can gather outdoors for up to four hours for physical or recreational activities
- All non-essential retail can operate click and deliver or click and collect – maximum five staff or one per four square metre
- Small businesses can operate click and collect or click and deliver or by contactless means – maximum five staff or one per four square metre
- Outdoor bootcamps and personal training can recommence with no more than two people (excluding instructors)
- Nature Reserves and National Parks to reopen
- All dental services to reopen
More to come.