The winners of the 2022 African American Film Critics Association (AAFCA) awards were announced this week by AAFCA president and founder Gil Robertson. The AAFCA statuettes will be handed out to the winners at the 13th Annual AAFCA Awards ceremony on March 2nd at the SLS Hotel in Los Angeles.
Taking the top honors were Will Smith, Jennifer Hudson, Corey Hawkins and Aunjanue Elliis. “King Richard” took four AAFCA Awards with a Best Actor win for Will Smith, a Best Supporting Actress win for Aunjanue Ellis, Breakout Actor went to Saniyya Sidney for her portrayal of young Venus Williams, and Reinaldo Marcus Green nabbed the Emerging Director award.
“The Harder They Fall” took home Best Picture, Best Ensemble, Best Music (Jeymes Samuel, Kid Cudi, Jay-Z) and Best Director (Jeymes Samuel) honors.
Other winners included Best Actress Jennifer Hudson (“Respect”), Best Supporting Actor Corey Hawkins (“The Tragedy of Macbeth”), Best Screenplay (“Don’t Look Up” written by Adam McKay), “Who We Are” for Best Independent Feature and “Summer of Soul” for Best Documentary.
The awards ceremony, celebrating the 13th Annual AAFCA Award winners, will be held on March 2nd and will follow all COVID protocols with a limited capacity audience.
Gil Roberston, AAFCA president and founder, said: “It’s been a fantastic year for film,” said Robertson. Just having passed the two-year mark of a global pandemic, great entertainment means more to all of us than ever before. This year’s AAFCA winners not only entertained us, but educated and inspired us and we’re looking forward to celebrating them at the AAFCA Awards.”
Below is the full list of winners
- Best Picture: “The Harder They Fall”
- Best Director: Jeymes Samuel (“The Harder They Fall”)
- Best Screenplay: “Don’t Look Up” (Adam McKay)
- Best Actor: Will Smith (“King Richard”)
- Best Actress: Jennifer Hudson (“Respect”)
- Best Supporting Actor: Corey Hawkins (“The Tragedy of Macbeth”)
- Best Supporting Actress: Aunjanue Ellis (“King Richard”)
- Breakout Actor: Saniyya Sidney (“King Richard”)
- Best Ensemble: “The Harder They Fall”
- Emerging Director: Reinaldo Marcus Green (“King Richard”)
- Best Music: “The Harder They Fall” (Jeymes Samuel, Kid Cudi, Jay-Z)
- Best Independent Feature: “Who We Are”
- Best Documentary: “Summer of Soul”